A Message from FIA President Dan Bradley...
To all FIA members:
Here we are coming to the end of another year. The FIA hopes that all have had a good year
and that your prosperity will continue into 2017.
We are getting ready for the AFA Convention to be held in
Arlington, Texas. We have had a tremendous amount of interest and early sign
up’s this year. Almost all of the booth
space has been taken, so if you are thinking of joining us at the convention, get
you registration in as soon as possible. We are looking forward to a great turn out for this convention. It is centrally located near the Dallas
airport, so we expect a large turnout.The AFA has put together a very well rounded educational program along
with the national forging contest. We
hope to see you there.
The MarketPlace committee headed by Emily Bull for the
AFA Convention has done a superb job. As
usual she and her committee have seen that all will go as smooth as possible
for all exhibitors. So a big thank you to Emily.
We have been on a little bit of a hold while looking
forward to the FIA Annual Conference. Our association with Affinity Resource Group LLC, official ended on
October 31, 2016. First before I go on I
would like to thank Jean Weiss (FIA Account Executive), Bertinna Dubra and Teri
Smith also of ARG for the wonderful help they have provided the FIA since
2009. Jean Weiss will remain
with the FIA on a month-to-month basis until future arrangements can be made for long-term.
We have elections coming up, as you see we have a lot
going on in the next year and this will be a very important time for the
FIA. Up for elections are Vice
President, Treasurer & two Board members. Lee Green is once again heading
up the elections process and ballots will be going out in the New Year.
The FIA has a great future and has business changes
within the industry, the FIA hopes to be a guiding principal to all our
members. As always my door is always
open to suggestions and comments. If you
have an idea for a business conference or anything you would wish to hear in a
newsletter. Let me know.
To all FIA members, have a very Merry Christmas and Happy
New Year. See you at the AFA Convention
in the great state of Texas.
Emily Bull, Chair
Wow! Can you feel the excitement for Arlington, Texas?! MarketPlace booths have been filling fast since registration opened. Word from the AFA is that they have had over 100 Competitors register with a waiting list that continues to grow! That is just awesome! It's going to be a great FIA MarketPlace & AFA Convention!! Click here to see an updated program schedule.
There are just a few booths left, so if you haven’t reserved your booth yet or know someone who should, please don’t delay. We've already exceeded the number of exhibitors we've had in the last several years and we are lucky to have extra room this year to add a few more.
We invite you to attend the FIA MembershipMeeting & Cocktail Reception in Arlington at the Center Lounge of the MarketPlace at the end of exhibitor move-in on Wednesday, March 8th from 4:45 - 6:35 pm. We'll have a short membership meeting, with a cash bar, hors d'oeuvres, and a lot of socializing!
Those of you who are exhibiting, don't forget to join us at on Thursday, March 9th at 7:00 am, just prior to the Opening Reception, for an Exhibitor-only Breakfast so you can fill-up before the doors open to convention attendees at 7:30 am!
We do have Sponsorship Opportunities still available -- you do not have to be an exhibitor to be a sponsor. This is a great way to get your name seen in the MarketPlace when you can’t be there yourself. Give Jean a call at 601-924-3495 if you are interested in sponsoring.
We thank all who have sponsored events in the MarketPlace including the Membership Meeting Reception, Exhibitor Breakfast, Opening Reception Breakfast and the Cash Bars. It is greatly appreciated!!
Castle Plastics, Inc.
Dechra Veterinary Products
Diamond Farrier Company
Farrier Product Distribution, Inc.
Kahn Forge, Inc.
Nature Farms Farrier Supply
Texas Farrier Supply
The Shoein' Shop
The AFA has planned an outstanding line-up of speakers and judges. This is one great convention you will not want to miss!! I look forward to seeing you in Arlington.
AFA Convention Highlights!
The AFA Convention Committee has lined up a great program for the 2017 Convention! In addition to the outstanding FIA MarketPlace and Horseshoeing Competition, the Educational component will feature speakers from around the world giving lectures, intensive learning modules/wet labs, and hands-on demos:
- Diego Almeida, CJF – An Overview of Sensory Receptors in the Equine Foot
- Danny Anderson, CJF - Demo: Hoof Knife Sharpening and Blade Maintenance
- Sarah-Mary Brown, FWCF- Farrier Qualifications and their Relevance to everyday Shoeing
- Charlie Buchanan, DVM – Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment of Navicular Syndrome
- Travis Burns, CJF, TE, EE, FWCF – Therapeutic Demo and Wet Lab
- Derrick Cooke, CJF – Effective New Treatment for Acute Laminitis
- Dusty Franklin, CJF, DipWCF, ASF – Demo: Know what the Judges Know: An Interactive Forging Demonstration
- Doug Hogue, CJF – Equine A & P “Barney Style” with a Focus on Biomechanics”
- David M. Hood, DVM, PhD, APF – Foot Biomechanics
- Todd Meister, VMD, CJF - Shoeing the Horse with an Emphasis on Looking above the Hoof: Identifying Correct Posture and Examining Why it is Important
- Scott Pleasant, DVM, MS, Diplomate, ACVS – Current Concepts in the Pathophysiology of Laminitis
- Paige Poss – Hoof Distortion - What’s Movin’
- Glenn Spradling, CJF, APF – Cause and Effect of Slider Modifications
- Mark Thorkildson, CJF, AWCF - Demo: Making Hoof Knives from Raw Material to the Finished Product
- Harry D. Trosin – Farrier Burnout
- Matt Wimer, DVM, CJF – Shoeing Principles with Anatomical Function in Mind
Have You Made Your Convention
CONVENTION HOST HOTEL
Sheraton Arlington Hotel
1500 Convention Center Drive
The AFA Convention Headquarters is the beautiful Sheraton Arlington Hotel connected by covered walkway to the Arlington Convention Center. A discounted group block of rooms has been reserved from March 5 - 10, 2017.
RATE: $129 single/double plus applicable taxes for standard King or 2 Double room.
DEADLINE: Special group room rate is available until February 12, 2017, or until the group block is sold out, whichever comes first.
Online: Click here to reserve your room online.
Phone: 800-442-7275 (mention Group Code: AFA or the American Farrier’s room block).
Thank you to everyone who has renewed for 2017. Your support is greatly appreciated! If you haven't had a chance to renew yet, click here to download a membership form, or renew online.
2017 Grant Applications may be submitted now!
Are you hosting a clinic or other customer event?
The Coffee & Donuts are on us!
The FIA Board has earmarked four $150 member grants each year to be used for sponsorship of coffee and donuts at a clinic, open house, or other customer event. Members can fill out the application below and submit it to the FIA Office by email, fax or mail.
Grant Criteria & Application Rules:
- Must be in FIA members in good standing at the time of the application and event.
- Companies are eligible to win one grant every other year.
- Applications are new each year with no carry-over from year to year.
- For events starting in the first quarter of the year, companies may apply starting in November of the previous year.
- Grant winners must display signage recognizing FIA and send a picture for FIA’s use (for promotional use).
- Companies who have not previously received a grant will take award precedence over others that have received grants.
- Winners will be selected by the FIA Grant committee.
Business to Business News
Secrets To Business Success by Richard Avdoian
When was the last time you took the time to sit back and candidly and thoroughly evaluate your performance as the business owner? Are you on track, focused and productive, or are you functioning in an existing mode? Have you lost your way? Do you still have a fire in your belly to lead and grow your business? Do you know how to adequately navigate through the ever-changing challenges facing businesses?
Many studies have identified the secrets to business success and key leadership qualities. Based on my work with business owners and CEOs in over 40 industries, here are a few qualities and best practices:
1. Embrace fear. Allow yourself to be visionary, innovative and daring. Set yourself and your business apart from the masses, dance to a different drummer, and shake things up to help avoid mediocrity and the status quo. Being the black sheep in the herd can prove to be key to your success.
2. Be persistent, work hard and stay focused. Remember that Rome was not built in a day, so be vigilant, take it slow and never give up when you hit a snag or two. Failure is part of learning, so when you hit a snag or two, embrace them and learn from them.
3. Read, read and read. Learning is a lifetime journey. Attend seminars and workshops. Gaining knowledge and acquiring new skills are crucial to survival in business.
4. Join professional associations, chambers of commerce and civic organizations. Consider joining your local chamber of commerce or industry association. Subscribe to their journals and newsletters and attend and participate in the various networking events. Consider participating in and supporting civic/charity events, volunteer, serve on a charity or professional board, and donate your services.
5. Self-talk is everything. Maintain a positive attitude. Think, “I can and will be successful,” not “I will fail.” Avoid negative individuals and environments. Stay focused and don’t let opinions and judgment of others derail you, distract you, or drain your energy and enthusiasm.
6. Take the necessary time to determine, set and implement goals, both personal and professional. Goal setting is pointless without a detailed implementation plan. Implement a well-written, detailed plan of action: Enough already – stop thinking and rethinking about goals.Nothing will change if you never implement a plan of action. Take charge; face your apprehension and your fears and dive in.
7. Take time to do your homework and research details. Seek out all the facts, ask questions, acknowledge what you know and understand and what you don’t, and get input from experts within and outside your business. Mistakes made are merely opportunities to learn and challenge your creative abilities.
8. Network, interact and communicate effectively. One person does not make a team. Identify, involve and motivate others within and outside your business.
When it is all said and done, the key is really to be truthful and transparent and live with integrity. So take ownership; otherwise don’t waste your time – none of the above will matter.
Richard Avdoian is president/CEO of the Midwest Business Institute Inc., a business consulting and training firm.
Source: St. Louis Small Business Monthly
Join FIA on Facebook!
The Farrier Industry Association has a Facebook page. We encourage you to "like" us so you will see all the latest news and events!! Click here, or search for us on Facebook.
Who are FIA Members?
FIA Members are professional businesses who are retailers, manufacturers, service providers, and wholesalers to the professional farrier. Member companies come in all shapes and sizes:
- International, national, and local wholesalers, manufacturers and distributors
- One-stop and multi-shop farrier and horse supply shop
- Educational resource providers & publications
- Horseshoeing schools
- Other farrier-related service & product suppliers
Click here to see membership benefits. Click here to join!
Click here to see a full listing of the FIA Board.